Background

Friday, July 6, 2012

Paxton's Growth Issue!


Wow! I knew it had been awhile since I posted to this blog. But I did not realize it has been over two years. Yikes! I need to keep up better. All the kids have grown up so much in the last two years!


 On to why I decided to come back now.... Pax is now two years old. Since he was about 6 months old we have been "watching" his height and weight as he "fell off" the charts and eventually off of his own curve for height. He made it into the 3% for his weight but was still in the <3% for his height. Meaning he isn't growing at the rate he should be. Or at least for now, the way I understand it. I have only done a little bit of research on this so  my medical terminology is probably going to be off or non-existent. ;)
I honestly did not think it was that big of a deal. Pax was/is a happy healthy smart little boy and developmentally doing well. In March 2011 his Pediatrician wanted to run tests to make sure there wasn't anything going on. The only thing at the time that came back were his TSH levels were slightly elevated. We decided to just keep an eye on him for the time being.


In March 2012 Pax turned two years old. He weight 21 pounds. In May we decided to go see an Endocrinologist to see what they had to say. He wanted to run a bone age test and the same labs as we did the previous year to see how his TSH levels were and all the other labs that were drawn as well. His bone age test came back normal, which basically means his bones are still young and he still have plenty of room to grow! GREAT NEWS!!!! We had even made an appointment to see them again in 6 months. They just wanted to "keep an eye" on him.
Well, we finally got his labs drawn in June and found out today that the doctor wants to run the Growth Stimulation Test on Pax.


The growth hormone (GH) stimulation test measures the level of growth hormone (GH) in the blood after you receive medication that triggers the release of GH, such as arginine or GH-releasing hormone. The test measures the ability of the pituitary gland to release GH.
We have decided to go ahead and have the test run. The surgeon is going to call next week to schedule when this will be. I will be keeping everyone updated on this process through this blog. I will also ask for specific prayer requests here.


Thank you so much for all your prayers. The Power of Prayer is amazing. I already feel a lot better than I have all day after talking to the nurse. 


And tonight I leave you with a picture of our awesome Pax! Isn't he the cutest thing?!?

1 comment: